Wednesday, June 22, 2011

#trust30 - Day 17: Invent the Future

I'm farther behind than I care to figure right now. The last week has been fantastic--a great HNS Conference, followed by Disneyland and a very informative work conference. I'll blog about the HNS Conference soon.

In the meantime, though, let's continue the Emerson prompts!

Invent the Future by Cindy Gallop

A man should learn to detect and watch that gleam of light which flashes across his mind from within, more than the lustre of the firmament of bards and sages. Yet he dismisses without notice his thought, because it is his. – Ralph Waldo Emerson

My favorite quote of all time is Alan Kay: ‘In order to predict the future, you have to invent it.’ I am all about inventing the future. Decide what you want the future to be and make it happen. Because you can. Write about your future now.

(Author: Cindy Gallop)
-----------------------

This has always been one of my biggest hang-ups. Great ideas always came from outside; they were always the product of others' imaginations, others' brilliance. Never mine. You could say that when life called for great ideas, it was someone else's job to discover them and mine to take advantage.

I know better now. How many great ideas have I failed to act on because it wasn't my job to come up with them? How many great ideas have I seen advanced that I didn't encourage, because it wasn't that person's job to come up with ideas? Or because it was too hard? Or because if it were really a good idea someone else would already have made millions from it?

It's my idea to come up with the good ideas that decide the course of my life. And my ideas are swirling in my head now, swirling and landing on this blog and my computer and a hundred loose pieces of paper. And as they swirl, my future takes shape.

What is it? Simple. I'm making history exciting and fun again. Because that's what it is. History is love and courage and battle and building and people with huge dreams creating a huge world. It's stories and questions, inventions and trials, great leaps forward and small steps backward. And every minute of it leads right to where we are now, to who we are now, and tells us who we are. And who we are determines our future.

How did we ever manage to make that boring?

My future is passion and stories, thrilling talks and engaging internet content and making the old new again. My future is helping people discover who they are by showing them who we were. My future is history. What's yours?

HN

No comments:

Post a Comment